• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Andrino Calendar

(01-25-2015, 10:46 AM)Alessandro Vercotti Wrote:  Of course, I also thought St. Andre was a Christian saint, as opposed to Bovic (I am not familiar with its tenets). But, I would think it would come out as the "Most Serene Republic of Andrino," with the adjective being "Andrinese." The idea would be to stay away from the name of a single person as the name of the nation, while the city of Port St. Andre would continue the legacy of the man; in this way, we could have the state seem more secular and above ethnicity and still maintaining the core history of the region.

If we want to use a different name for the Republic, I'd prefer to come up with something else and keep the term "Andrino" not as the name of the country as a whole, but the demonym of the people that come from there... I've kind of taken a liking to it. I wouldn't mind calling the whole country for St. Andre, if we're going to break off from the Bovic saint (from which I thought the name St. Andre comes from) then I guess we'll have to find a different name.

(01-25-2015, 03:45 PM)Steven Dore Wrote:  Since there are Christians on Micras already I see no reason to rename Christmas and Easter, to do so would be biased.  And remember, the Bovic population of this Republic is very, very small.  Only one congregation.  So I assume any such celebration of St. Andre's feast day would be treated like St. George's Day, a wider secular population adopting a quaint local custom and taking it beyond any sort of religious context.

And I have no strong opinion either way on the name, I don't think anyone considers this republic to be anything but secular and multi-ethnic so I personally think it is a non-issue.

Well, the way I've always seen St. Andre is with a majority Haifan population with a sizeable Natopian minority that would adhere to the Bovic church still. The Republic, of course, is secular, but in my mind I still saw more followers of the Bovic faith. I like the idea of St. Andre being simply a local custom to celebrate the country itself rather than the Bovic faith.
Benjamin Meir
Transitional President of the Most Serene Republic of St. Andre
Marshal and Member of the Frenzy for Thalassa, Natopia
Last Prime Minister of Haifa

Well, there is nothing to say that the demonym Andrino. The other way is traditional, but not set in stone; indeed, I have no personal preference. Also, I think I overstated the issue secularism, with the issue of culture in general. As has been pointed out, I've gotten the impression that the city is named for a Bovic saint, but most of the population is neither majority Natopian nor Bovic. While not unheard of, the general trend I have seen is for new nations to change its name to something which the cultural majority would tolerate more than a symbol of something which is not well-represented.

I recognize the name isn't a big issue, and I apologize if I make it come off as such. However, it would be interesting to make the name a little more unique. Perhaps Andrino, Andrinos, San Andrino, etc. As well, as I stated before, I would support retaining the name Port St. Andre for the capital, if we were to change the name of the nation.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State
Most Serene Republic of St. Andre

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon