• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Debate] The Constitution of the Most Serene Republic of St Andre

Mr. Speaker, Esteemed Representatives,

I would like to offer a set of small revisions which, I believe, would tighten the system.

Quote:One: Legislative power shall be vested in the Grand Council of St. Andre, composed of members known as jurats, who shall be elected from districts known as cantons. The Grand Council shall pass legislation, approve appointments, and ratify treaties. Jurats shall serve as the ceremonial leaders of their canton, the chief of the local police, and head of the cantonal court. A jurat shall be elected for a term of six months, and may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the entire Grand Council.

Two: Executive power shall be vested in the Grand Elector of St. Andre. The Grand Elector shall represent St. Andre in foreign affairs, approve or reject laws, appoint officials and officers of the state by law, and serve as commander in chief of the military. He shall be elected by a simple majority of the Grand Council for a term of three months, and may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the whole body.

Three: Judicial power shall be vested in the cantonal courts and a High Court. Each jurat shall serve as the presiding judge of a cantonal court. The High Court serves as a court of appeal to hear lower court cases, and an impartial court when conflicts of interest arise with the jurats or within the canton. It shall consist of the Justice of the High Court, and two jurats selected at random (save the jurat of the originating canton, and those with a conflict of interest).  The Justice of the High Court shall be an independent officer, appointed by the Grand Elector, and approved by a simple majority of the Grand Council for a term of six months, unless removed by a two-thirds vote of the whole body.

Four: That a draft for a constitutional document be drawn up to codify the preceding sections, to delineate the rights of the people, and to establish the responsibilities of the state.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State
Most Serene Republic of St. Andre

Looks fine. In section three I believe Senate should be Grand Council?
Steven Dore
Bosarch of the Cathedral-Chapel of Saint Andre

OOC: Oops! Sorry about that; I've been throwing so many ideas together, that I got them mixed up. I have fixed the resolution. It is basically based on the Channel Islands, which have British and French influences, as well as Germanic ideas.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

Mr. Speaker, Esteemed Representatives,

If there are no further objections, I move for a vote to adopt the resolution.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

I second the motion.
Steven Dore

(02-17-2015, 09:41 AM)Alessandro Vercotti Wrote:  Mr. Speaker, Esteemed Representatives,

If there are no further objections, I move for a vote to adopt the resolution.

(03-10-2015, 06:11 PM)Steven Dore Wrote:  I second the motion.

With the motion to vote being properly seconded, we will now move for a vote on the resolution below:

(02-09-2015, 11:47 AM)Alessandro Vercotti Wrote:  Mr. Speaker, Esteemed Representatives,

I would like to offer a set of small revisions which, I believe, would tighten the system.

Quote:One: Legislative power shall be vested in the Grand Council of St. Andre, composed of members known as jurats, who shall be elected from districts known as cantons. The Grand Council shall pass legislation, approve appointments, and ratify treaties. Jurats shall serve as the ceremonial leaders of their canton, the chief of the local police, and head of the cantonal court. A jurat shall be elected for a term of six months, and may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the entire Grand Council.

Two: Executive power shall be vested in the Grand Elector of St. Andre. The Grand Elector shall represent St. Andre in foreign affairs, approve or reject laws, appoint officials and officers of the state by law, and serve as commander in chief of the military. He shall be elected by a simple majority of the Grand Council for a term of three months, and may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the whole body.

Three: Judicial power shall be vested in the cantonal courts and a High Court. Each jurat shall serve as the presiding judge of a cantonal court. The High Court serves as a court of appeal to hear lower court cases, and an impartial court when conflicts of interest arise with the jurats or within the canton. It shall consist of the Justice of the High Court, and two jurats selected at random (save the jurat of the originating canton, and those with a conflict of interest).  The Justice of the High Court shall be an independent officer, appointed by the Grand Elector, and approved by a simple majority of the Grand Council for a term of six months, unless removed by a two-thirds vote of the whole body.

Four: That a draft for a constitutional document be drawn up to codify the preceding sections, to delineate the rights of the people, and to establish the responsibilities of the state.

Vote will last 72 hours or until all members have voted, which ever comes first. Please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.
Adrian Stoddard
Speaker of the National Congress

Aye.
Benjamin Meir
Transitional President of the Most Serene Republic of St. Andre
Marshal and Member of the Frenzy for Thalassa, Natopia
Last Prime Minister of Haifa

I vote Aye
Steven Dore

I vote Aye