• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Debate] The Constitution of the Most Serene Republic of St Andre

Esteemed representatives of this body,

Our nation now is free, no longer beholden to the yoke of great empires and the schemes of nations. It is time for us to chart our path to self-government, to build a government we can all be proud of. It is time to work on drafting our Constitution.

We will begin with opening statements from members of the National Congress, and go from there.

The floor is open for statements from the Representatives on the drafting of a new Constitution.
Adrian Stoddard
Speaker of the National Congress
Most Serene Republic of St. Andre

Mr. Speaker, Esteemed Representatives,

To construct a new order is no small feat, especially an order which shall both represent and guide the will of a people. However, upon our shoulders falls the momentous task. There have been conversations and debates in the halls and pubs across the Republic. I, too, have considered our options, and looked back into our history, and forward to our future.

I would propose a structure for the governance of St. Andre as follows.

To represent the people, there must be a legislative organ. This body would empowered to formulate legislation, declare war, approve treaties, and confirm appointments to the offices of the Republic. I believe there are two ways which may appeal to my fellow colleagues.

The first option would be conventional legislature, either named the Grand Council or the Senate of the Most Serene Republic. Members would be elected in a system of proportional representation, consisting of parties and independent lists. This option would be useful due to our small size, and the encourage political discourse in St. Andre, as well as allowing a clean slate for further development in the other aspects of the state and society.

The second option would be a legislature which would be composed of members known as magistrates. Each magistrate would be chosen from a constituency via the the plurality system (i.e. first past the post). Each magistrate would serve both as a legislator and a sort of justice of the peace to enforce the law and keep order in subdivisions. This option would be useful for historical reasons, as well as settling the judicial issue.

I have come to the conclusion that we should have titles which are less culturally-based and more generic so as to include all of our ethnicities, and not favor one or the other. I believe the first option would be more practical at this time, but I also realize there is affinity for the second option.

To lead the state would be the Doge of the Most Serene Republic. The Doge would serve as head of state, head of government, and commander in chief of the armed forces. He would serve as the symbol of unity of the state, and be empowered to approve or reject legislation, appoint officials of the state and officers of the military, enforce legislation (but not issue decrees), conduct diplomacy, and grant pardons. The Doge would be elected for a term by the legislature, and could be removed by a two-thirds majority of the same.

My thinking is that we should have lengthier terms for one of the other institutions, so as to have stability combined with accountability. For example, perhaps the legislature is elected for a term of six months, and the executive for three months; or vice versa.

I submit these ideas for the consideration of my fellow representatives.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

Mr. Speaker, Representatives,

The ideas that Mr. Vercotti has presented here are all incredibly great and I commend him for his steadfast commitment to making St. Andre a better place.

For the legislature, I would personally favor the second option, as it would take care of the judicial branch and make government more streamlined in a nation the size of St. Andre. Excessive government bureaucracies can stifle and kill nations, I believe that will be the most suitable course of action to follow in this regard.

The terms for the election of the Doge, the title, etc are most agreeable with me, and I think this will add more gravitas to the position of head of state in St. Andre.

As for the terms of the Doge and the legislature, I personally favor having them match and coincide just to have one election at a time. But I may be persuaded to give that up and favor a lengthier term for the legislature and a shorter term for the Doge.
Benjamin Meir
Transitional President of the Most Serene Republic of St. Andre
Marshal and Member of the Frenzy for Thalassa, Natopia
Last Prime Minister of Haifa

I also favor the judicial-legislative hybrid option. I agree on the powers and responsibilities of the Doge as well. I have no strong opinion on term lengths, I'm slightly in favor of longer terms for magistrates.
Steven Dore
Bosarch of the Cathedral-Chapel of Saint Andre

I'm glad we can find agreement with the judicial-legislative option! I understand that the first option is enticing given that we have just started out, but judiciary systems in Micras aren't really a big norm. I can only think of Shireroth and Alexandria with real judicial systems, and even then they are largely dormant until something pops up. I think condensing both branches into the Grand Council will be much like making an investment early that will pay off later. It also adds an element of uniqueness to St. Andre that I feel would work well for us.
Benjamin Meir

While I believe the conventional legislative option to be most desirable, I agree to the legislative-judicial option. I propose that the Grand Council of the Most Serene Republic be our legislative body, composed of members to be named "magistrates," who shall be elected to districts apportioned by population throughout our territory. I would also propose that there be an independent higher court established to hear appeals from the cases to be head by the magistrates, so as to ensure the impartial administration of justice and execution of the laws of the Republic. I would also propose we fix the number of members at a smaller level in light of our population. I suggest 50 seats, elected for a term of 3, 4, or 6 months.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

In the interest of speeding our transition to permanent governance, and incorporating recent discussions, I propose the following government. St. Andre shall be governed by a Grand Council composed of members known as magistrates, who shall be elected from districts. These magistrates shall serve as the symbolic head of their district, preside over courts of first instance, and ensure the execution of the laws. Magistrates shall be elected for a term of six months, and may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the entire Council. The head of state of St. Andre shall be the Grand Elector, who shall be elected by a simple majority of the Grand Council for a term of three months, and may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the whole Council. The Grand Elector shall represent the Republic in foreign affairs, appoint officials and officers of the state by law, and serve as commander in chief of the military. The judiciary shall be composed of the magistrates, and a Chancellor, who serve preside over a court of appeal to decide controversial cases, appeals, or serve as an impartial court when conflicts of interest arise with magistrates. The Chancellor shall be appointed by the Grand Elector, and approved by a simple majority of the Grand Council for a term of six months, unless removed by a two-thirds vote of the whole Council.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

Wholeheartedly support this proposal. Shall we vote on it just to formalize the decision?
Benjamin Meir

I propose a motion that:

One: The legislature of St. Andre shall be a Grand Council, composed of members known as magistrates who shall be elected from districts. These magistrates shall serve as the symbolic head of their district, preside over courts of first instance, and ensure the execution of the laws. Magistrates shall be elected for a term of six months, and may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the entire Council.

Two: The head of state of St. Andre shall be the Grand Elector, who shall be elected by a simple majority of the Grand Council for a term of three months, and may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the whole Council. The Grand Elector shall represent the Republic in foreign affairs, appoint officials and officers of the state by law, and serve as commander in chief of the military.

Three: The judiciary of St. Andre shall be composed of the magistrates, and a Chancellor of Justice, who serve preside over a court of appeal to decide controversial cases, appeals, or serve as an impartial court when conflicts of interest arise with magistrates. The Chancellor shall be appointed by the Grand Elector, and approved by a simple majority of the Grand Council for a term of six months, unless removed by a two-thirds vote of the whole Council.

Four: That a draft for a constitutional document be drawn up to codify the preceding sections, and to delineate the rights of the people, and responsibilities of the state.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

Sounds fine to me.
Steven Dore
Bosarch of the Cathedral-Chapel of Saint Andre

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon