• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Development of St. Andre

This is a discussion that we need to have as a community as to what kind of national "theme" do we want to have. I have used the name "Bonnencontre Plaza", which is French, mostly because I liked the sound of it. The title of "Most Serene Republic" comes from the Republic of San Marino, and was originally meant to state that despite St. Andre being small, it is a sovereign and independent republic. Wasn't necessarily a reference to any Italian themes.

Despite the lack of emphasis on either theme, I am open to suggestions and ideas from everyone to integrate. Remember: St. Andre was first founded by Natopia, then ceded to Haifa. St. Andre will have a lot of Natopian and Haifan influences. Haifa was quasi-Jewish, Natopia... well, Natopia has its own very distinct theme and image.

What does everyone else think? Ideas?

Also, I should announce for transparency sakes, that Benjamin Meir, Patric Varnham and Adrien Stoddard are all played by me. This is just to build culture and political involvement. I am willing to scrap the characters once things have taken off. Others are also welcome to create new multi characters as well to help out!

I think a good idea may be to have the theme be a sort of composite Mediterranean culture. So, it could have a population which would have Italian, French, Spanish, Arab, Jewish, and such elements. Personally, I like the title of Most Serene Republic, as it made me think of San Marino and Venice (personal favorites of mine). It could be a way to have more prestigious titles and names, while keeping the democratic nature of the state. For example, instead of a President, we could have a Doge, Captain-Regent, or Shofet; instead of Congress, we could have a Grand Council or a Senate. Obviously, I know we want to keep things relatively modern, so I would not be opposed to modern titles and such, but I think this could also be an opportunity to have more unique elements than what is usually brought up in Micras. Also, I would be interested in introducing the Alexandrian form of Christanity here, but as an independent entity.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State
Most Serene Republic of St. Andre

Those are great suggestions, I think. I really like the idea of blending cultures - for the top position I like the suggestions you made for the title of the Andrino head honcho. "President" seems so generic to me, I'd like to see a choice made among those names. I am personally torn between Captain-General or Shofet. Although I like Doge too... wait, another thing...

We need to determine our official demonym. I've started using "Andrino"... taken a bit of a liking to it. Thoughts?

For the legislature I like Senate or Grand Council much better than Congress.

As for the Alexandrian form of Christianity, I am in support of that. The more diverse St. Andre can be, the better.

Well, for the head of state title, I think has a certain connotation. Doge makes us more Italian, and it signifies a strong leader with a great deal of prestige. Captain-Regent sounds much more humble, like a simple servant of the people kind of thing, and is more European than specifically Italian or Mediterranean. Shofet reminds me of Noshi, which would be more broadly Mediterranean. I tend to favor Doge, since I don't think it has ever been used; but Shofet also sounds good because it is unique. I think if we can select that title, the rest of the culture would flow a little more coherently.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

I think that in honor of the Haifan legacy, I would favor the title of Shofet! Or maybe we can use two titles - Shofet and Captain-General. Shofet signifies the powers of head of state, and Captain-General represents the Shofet's power over the military (equivalent of Commander-in-Chief). What do you think? I favor uniqueness, definitely.

I do not think that would be a problem. Indeed, I believe your proposal would make historical sense. If we go with Shofet, I believe "Senate" would be a good name for the legislature, likely one senator for a district or ward.
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

Sounds like a good plan. Smile I like it.

Agree with everything so far.

The history of the city-state lends itself to be modeled after Monaco, Venice, Malta, etc, as mentioned. Very rich, very dense, very cosmopolitan. St Andre has aligned itself with powerful friends and it should prosper as a cross-roads of Micras.

Exactly! That might even be a good tag-line: "St. Andre: The Crossroads of Micras."

I tend to see St. Andre like a Mediterranean version of Singapore: a strategically vital and economically advanced city-state, with the potential to grow. As we have a larger population than most microstates, we could even have a decent-sized military (especially the navy).
Alessandro Vercotti
Secretary of State

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon