• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[4 Jan 2015] Swearing-In of Benjamin Meir as Transitional President

[Image: MYj6IkP.jpg]

SWEARING-IN
of the
TRANSITIONAL PRESIDENT of the
MOST SERENE REPUBLIC of ST. ANDRE

[Image: o0Rkfn6.jpg]

Representatives from the different legislative wards of the Most Serene Republic gathered in the National Congress building today to witness the swearing-in of President Benjamin Meir.

Presided by Speaker of the National Congress Adrian Stoddard, it was broadcast on TV across Apollonia, Haifa, Cibola, and Tapfer via the St. Andre News Corporation and partnerships with the ABC in Alexandria, and other companies in Hamland, Natopia and Haifa.

The session of the National Congress was opened by the Speaker at 10:00 AM, with the first order of business being the confirmation by the body of Benjamin Meir as Transitional President of the Most Serene Republic. The debate began with a strong tide of support for Meir as the candidate, but other Representatives nominated Patrice Varnham, leader of the Social Democratic Union to lead. Breaking for lunch around noon, the debate seemed like it would go to a vote easily when the Representatives returned to session.

Patrice Varnham, representing one of the northeastern wards of St. Andre, campaigned for the position once it was seen that a significant wave of support was behind her. When it came to a final vote between both candidates, Meir won the count by 7 votes.

National Congress seats: 17 wards
Meir, Benjamin - 12
Varnham, Patrice - 5

SPEAKER STODDARD: "We, the people of the Most Serene Republic of St. Andre, asserting our independence and sovereignty, in the principles already agreed and shared with the Free State of Haifa and its Government, confirm by a vote of 12 to 5, Benjamin Meir as the Transitional President for the Most Serene Republic of St. Andre.

We call Mr. Meir to come forth for the administration of the oath of office."

The large mahogany doors of the National Congress Hall were shut. The Usher of the National Congress stands in front of the door, with the newly confirmed Temporary President. An aide with an ear piece stands next to the Usher of the National Congress. After holding his earpiece for a brief second, the Usher's aide turns to him and says "He may enter."

The Usher proceeds to open the mahogany doors, flanked by his aide and Mr. Meir. "Mr. Speaker, I present to you the President-elect of the Most Serene Republic of St. Andre."

Mr. Meir walked down the central aisle to the Speaker's Chair, shaking the hands of Representatives lining up along the aisle. At the end of the aisle, he shook hands with Representative Patrice Varham, his rival for the post of Transitional President and proceeded to the Speaker's Chair.

Placing his left hand on top of the Bible being held by the Speaker of the National Congress, and raising his right hand, Mr. Meir was ready to swear the Oath of Office.

President-elect Meir, please repeat after me:

Quote:"I, Benjamin Meir, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of Transitional President of this Most Serene Republic of St. Andre, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Most Serene Republic, and to guide it through its transition to independence and full sovereignty."

"I, Benjamin Meir, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of Transitional President of this Most Serene Republic of St. Andre, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Most Serene Republic, and to guide it through its transition to independence and full sovereignty."

With the Oath of Office having been officially taken by Mr. Benjamin Meir, he is now Transitional President of the Most Serene Republic of St. Andre.

Congratulations, Mr. President.

Now, I present to you, His Most Serene Excellency, the President of St. Andre - Benjamin Meir.

Quote:Thank you, Mr. Speaker, Mayor Eisenberg of Port St. Andre, Representatives of the National Congress, people of St. Andre -

This is the beginning of a new step in our national journey. Founded and built by Natopia, raised by Haifa and now independent and free, St. Andre raises its flag high, proclaiming its new found independence and sovereignty for all of Micras. This is the beginning of a grand and new democratic experiment in Apollonia, placing in our hands the future and safety of the people of this great Republic.

Among the vicissitudes incident to life, no event could have filled me with greater anxieties than that of which the notification was transmitted by your vote, that I was elected Transitional President. On the one hand, I was summoned by my Country, whose voice I can never hear but with veneration and love, from a retreat which I had chosen with the fondest predilection, and, in my flattering hopes, with an immutable decision, as the asylum of my declining years.

I thank this Body for vesting upon me the responsibility of steering the ship of state, in these uncharted waters of liberty and independence. The people of this Great Republic understand better than anybody that shops are not built to sail close to the coast, that ships are built for great, and perilous voyages and that the experiences of the sailors on board only grows with every voyage. This will begin our voyage as an independent nation.

Under my leadership, I will seek to rule fairly and with integrity, steering clear from partisan affiliation. We will work on a Constitution, and establish the basic laws from which elections and other important processes can be established and provided for.

We will begin to build a strong military to defend our Republic, and to protect its shipping lanes and trade. We will build partnerships and alliances, and develop friendships with other nations.

This is our first step. We will take another. And another. So on, so forth. And with every step, we will build our nation. Thank you, and God bless.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon